This year, it is expected $8.4 billion dollars will be spent on cosmetics and skin care products in the US. Of that $8.4 billion, how much do you think you will spend? Now, how much of that amount do you think you are wasting every day. I hate to break it to you but most people are wasting product because they are using too much. I want to share with you several things today. 1. I want to show how much product you should actually be using in your skin care routine. 2. Why you need to control how much product you are using. 3. Show you the perfect products to use.
1. Cleanser - dime sized amount. You only need 1-2 pumps per cleansing. It does not matter if your cleanser is a foam, gel or a liquid. One to Two pumps is about the size of a dime. I highly recommend the double cleansing method for those that wear makeup, especially long lasting lipstick or mascara. Also, be sure you use a makeup remover before you cleanse. Repeat if necessary.
2. Toner - few drops or 1-2 spritz all over the face, neck and décolleté. Your toner is just meant to remove any leftover debris that the cleanser did not catch.
There are negative consequences when you apply too much product to your skin, both physically and financially. Keep reading to learn how you can get the best results from your skin care.
3. Serum/Anti-aging Cream - These products are generally chock full of active ingredients. You need to be careful about using too much of this type of product not to mention they are usually very pricey. A good amount of serum is the size of a pea.
4. Eye Cream - Use this sparingly. Literally the size of a sunflower (one that is shelled). These are typically high potent and full of active ingredients, a little really goes a long way.
5. Moisturizer/SPF - These products are not interchangelable. You need both but be sure to pay attention to your décolleté.You only need about an quarter sized amount, this applies to morning and night application.
6. Scrub/Exfoliant - Start with a pea size amount and work your way up to the size of a raspberry as needed. Adjust the amount used very carefully. Scrubs should used no more than 1-3 times a week and that depends on the skin.
7. Mask - Use 1 pump or the size of a chickpea amount of mask and apply a tin layer all over the face. I like to do this on Friday's and Monday's. I call it my Self Care day. I usually enjoy a glass of wine while I masque. Depending on what your skin needs, you can change and adjust the type of mask you use.
Why you need to control how much product you are using?
Applying too much product will not make your skin look better or get after results. In fact, it can have the opposite effect and be harmful to the skin.
Quality skin care products have very small molecules so they are easily absorbed into the skin. Lower quality products just sit on the surface of the skin and do not work as well. If you are using too much product you can actually cause more harm and irritate the skin. Too much product can cause more than just irritation it can cause breakouts or cause a product to not work effectively.
For example, if you are using a clay mask and you use too much, you can impair its performance. Typically, a flat mask needs to dry and you are only supposed to leave it on for a set amount of time (5-10 minutes). If you apply too much of the product, then it will not dry in the allotted time.
The perfect product to use?
Visit our store to purchase our Advanced Clarifying Skin Care System. We have products for all skin types.